What: We looked at Comscore data from the most visited sports sites in Latin America, and in particular Mexico.
Why is this important: Latin Americans are very interested in sports; the websites they choose to consume content highlight what interests them most.
As the World Cup approaches, sports websites are becoming more and more relevant to consumers. For Latin American audiences, informative and comprehensive websites are at a clear advantage, and more so if they offer relevant video content or even streaming links. It will be interesting to take a look at how the rankings evolve in the coming months as we get closer to the World Cup months.
Top 10 sports venues in Latin America, April 2018
|Total audience, home and work, PC / laptop.||Total unique visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: total audience||183 917|
|5||AS.com sites||3 897|
|8||El Comercio Deporte Total DT||2,440|
- Of the total number of Latin Americans with an Internet connection, 28.3% consumed online sports content in April.
- These users chose a variety of sites to find the content they were looking for, but the Brazilian site Globo Esportes had the most visitors: 21.1%.
- MSN Sports was visited by 13.7% of Latin Americans looking for sports content online.
- UOL Esport is just behind with 9.5% visits.
- 8.1% of visitors went to ESPN website.
- 7.4% of sports content users visited AS.com sites, which is also number one in the ranking of Mexican sites.
- Marca sites was seen by 6.6% users of sports content; very similarly, Desafio Mundial has received 6.5% visits.
- 4.6% of users preferred to find sports content on El Comercio Deporte Total DT.
- Ole.com.ar was seen by 4.3% viewers.
- 3.5% of viewers visited RojaDirecta.me, a website that may become more relevant in the run-up to the World Cup, as more users will look for links to stream games for free.
Top 10 sports venues in Mexico, April 2018
|Total audience, home and work, PC / laptop. All tablets, all smartphones||Total unique visitors (000)|
|Total Internet: total audience||64 619|
|1||AS.com sites||4 334|
|2||Marca sites||4 103|
|6||MSN Sports||2 145|
|7||Televisa Deportes||2 135|
|8||El Comercio Deporte Total DT||1,309|
- 34.4% of Mexicans with an Internet connection consumed online sports content in April.
- 19.4% of these users visited AS.com to find this content.
- Marca sites was visited by 18.4% viewers.
- 16.5% of users searched for sports content on ESPN.
- Tiempo media has received 15% visits.
- 11.4% of sports content users visited Save.
- MSN Sports and Televisa Deportes received an almost identical number of visitors, each with 9.6% visits.
- El Comercio Deporte Total DT was seen by 5.8% users.
- 4.9% of viewers visited DEPOR.COM.
- 4.1% of users went to Media Minutes.